Great Field Trip Opportunity
School Groups are Welcome At The Fair
Free Admission for school groups on Friday
TRAVEL STIPENDS ARE AVAILABLE
Plan your Group's Visit with the Interactive, Searchable Fair Schedule
MOFGA is excited to offer lots of fun and educational things for school groups to do at the Fair.
As you may know, MOFGA always opens the gates of the Fair to school groups of any grade level, including homeschoolers*, and their teachers and chaperones for FREE on Friday.
The procedure for school groups is as follows:
- Follow the traffic signs to the school bus parking area in the North Parking Lot as you approach the fairgrounds.
- Enter through the dedicated School Group Entrance at the Rose (North) Gate.
- Sign in at the gate with an accurate head count (students, teachers, and chaperones) with the host at the School Group entrance.
That's it! There is no need to pre-register or order passes in advance.
* Please be aware, however, that free admission for homeshool groups can only be accommodated between 9am and noon on Friday. When the School group entrance closes at noon, homeshool groups must enter through the main gate and pay admission.
MOFGA recognizes how tight school field trip budgets are and appreciates the additional costs incurred by school groups traveling to the Fair. We are happy to be able to offer travel stipends to help defray these costs.
Stipends are available at a rate of $0.75 per mile for full size school buses, $0.40/mile for vans, and $0.25/mile for homeschool vehicles (maximum $100 reimbursement for homeschool groups)
Your school can claim travel reimbursement by completing and submitting this online form. The deadline for submissions is OCTOBER 10, 2013.
A HEALTHY FIELD TRIP
The Common Ground Country Fair is delighted to be one of the most popular fieldtrips for Maine's students. Annually, over 4,000 Maine school children made a school trip to Common Ground on Friday of the Fair.
Almost the entire Common Ground Country Fair is held outdoors in the open or under cover in a tent or barn. Students are sure to spend a lot of time outside and on their feet at the Fair moving from place to place.
We encourage all Fairgoers to be prepared for the elements to best enjoy a healthy and busy day at the Fair. Here are few items we suggest school children bring to the Fair:
• Water bottles. Good hydration is key to enjoying a long day outside. We have clean drinking water available on-site and special bottle filling faucets in numerous locations available to refill bottles.
• A hat, light raincoat or wind shell, and a non-toxic sunscreen. Dressing in weather appropriate clothes and wearing comfortable footwear, such as sneakers, suitable for lots of walking are also advised. Late September in Maine can dish out a wide mix of weather. We want your students to be comfortable no matter what the skies deliver.
With all Common Ground has to offer as a safe and healthy destination, we're delighted your students may be joining us. We hope they enjoy their day at the Fair.
For more information about the Fair or travel stipends, or to request copies of the Fairbook, please call the MOFGA office at 207-568-4142 or email MOFGA.